Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Baby Girl Lyssa Michelle Fike has officially joined our family as of Sept. 14, 2009 at 11:42 am. She was a week late and was scheduled for an induction the morning of Sept. 14, but decided that she wasn't going to be told when to come to the world and decided to finally start making her way into the the world of the 13th, about 10pm by making the water break. Mark did the same thing.


After calling Kate, my coach this time, and gathering stuff up, Ethan and I headed to the hospital. No contractions had really started, but seeing as I was already supposed to be induced in a matter of hours, they got me all hooked up. Labor moved slowly, ended up getting an epidural, and then needed pitocin to help get things moving around 6 am. Spent the next three hours trying to get some sleep while the nurses kept poking and prodding at me for one thing or another.


At 11 am, I hit the 10 cm and said I could start pushing if I felt the need, or if I could deal with the pressure, to just let my body do its thing and continue to push the baby down on its own. I wasn't in pain, thanks to the epidural, so I waited it out. My midwife was working at the office and was going to go for a lunch break, but after being told how far along I was, came up and checked on me. She then told me that this baby was only going to take about ten minutes to come. I didn't believe her. Mark had taken an hour and a half of hard pushing with the epidural having worn off at the beginning of pushing. So after about three contractions, Lyssa came and had the cord wrapped around her neck three times, not tightly though. They got it taken care of and everything went very smoothly.


She had taken to nursing very well, and has been a very sweet and mellow baby so far. Not too much fussing at all. I have been healing wonderfully. Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Shay said...

congrats! She is so adorable! Glad to hear everything went well, and I love the first picture of Mark and Lyssa. Mark looks a little nervous, so cute!