Friday, June 20, 2008

Blood Donating

Yesterday, Ethan, Alan, Kate and I went and donated blood. Ethan and I have been donating for awhile, but Alan had only done it once and Kate has never done it. I have been an avid blood donor since Oct. 2003. Kate had been wanting to do it for awhile, but never got up and did it, so I invited her from last time to come with us. It can be scary the first time, especially when you see the needle. Though, I swear the pricking of the finger for the iron test hurts more than the actual donating.

While I was at the blood bank, Kate was asking me why I have been very adamant about donating. Since I can remember, my Dad was always donating. I mean it is a good cause and all, but it is one that is easily forgotten. When I was about 14, I finally asked him why he was a religious donor, and he told me how it saved his life when he was about 15 yrs old. He had gotten appendicitis, and his appendix burst. At the time, going to doctor wasn't always an option, whether transportation, or sometimes the doctor wasn't available, I forget what the reasoning was for this story. Well 2 days after it burst was when he was able to be admitted to the hosptial. By this time the poison from the burst was getting everywhere, and most people would have already died. They had to give him several units of blood and it did save his life. After that, he realized that something as simple as this can help save people's lives and there was no reason that he shouldn't help others with something that he readily had. After he was old enough, every two month he donated up until the time of his death.

It helped make me realize, that even though I may not be one to go into the medical field, I can still help. It only takes about an hour of my time, the small amount of pain is bearable, and it can help up to 3 different people with just one pint. They can always use blood, and they are in constant need of all types. I am like Dad, having slightly rarer blood type, and for some situations, it is what is needed.

So for anyone that has the ability, go and donated, it might help someone you know. There are always circumstances that can't be helped and will not permit you to donate, but if you are healthy, not pregnant, or anemic, and at least 110 lbs, you should be able to. Just remember to eat and drink before and listen to what they tell you to do afterwards. Not doing so will make the experience miserable.

No comments: