Thursday, July 3, 2008

Doctors, peanuts, and shots.

June 24th was Mark's 6mth. appointment. He is now 16lbs and 3 oz, and 26 inches long with his head being 17 inches. More than doubled his birth weight, which should happen by 6mths. Overall the doctor was extremely impressed with how Mark is doing. Mark has been hitting all the milestones that he is supposed to and is doing it well. It was kind of funny, while I was waiting for Dr. Ashbaugh to come in, I had Mark sitting on the table. They always have the paper that they sit on that they throw away after every patient. Anyways, by the time the doctor came in, Mark was having fun riping it to shreds. He loved the noise it made.

While talking to the doctor, I brought up the fact that Mark was allergic to peanuts. That cause a weird stare. I know you aren't suppose to give babies peanut butter until they are older, but our discovery was by accident. I knew before I got there, I was going to have to explain how we knew. Back in May, we had the missionaries over for dinner and I had invited Kate to come eat with us. Kate held Mark while we were eating and was letting him lick things off her finger. For dessert we had ice cream and there was peanut butter fudge ice cream. A couple minutes after he had some, he broke out in hives around his mouth and on his throat. But I wasn't sure which item it was that cause the breakout, because she had given him some bbq sauce as well. I figured I would just watch and see what happens. A couple days later, I had him sitting on my lap and I was making some peanut butter crackers. I look at him and his arm have hives all over them. I didn't even give him any and he broke out. Luckily no breathing problems or anything like that. After telling the doctor, he asked if I was eating any and I told him no. So he just said make sure he doesn't get expose to it and later on when he is older we'll give him any allergy test to confirm how allergic he really is. They say that 30-40% of children with food allergies grow out of them, so that is what I am hoping for. I love peanut butter, and can't imagine being a child and not having peanut butter.

Also at the appt., Mark got his first shot. It was the Hib shot, and Mark was rather impressive for how well he did. He only whimpered for about 2 sec. and that was it. I was so proud. I am very hestitant when it comes to immunizations and babies. I truly believe there is a lot of good in them, but I absolutely despise how aggressively doctors want the shots administered. Ethan and I both have personal or family history of not doing very well with the shots. I have 4 cousins that have had severe bad reaction, one being heavy metal poisoning. Though many years ago, my cousin Owen, at 7 months was given a bad batch of shots and as a result died of SIDS two days later. Its very rare that a child dies of SIDS after 4 months. Ethan got the measels just days after getting the shot that was suppose to prevent it. I am also a firm believer that due to the toxicity of the shots, they are a big cause of the sky rocketing Autism, and Aspergers, as well as other mental retardations. After doing my own research, I decided along with Ethan, that Mark wasn't going to have any shots for a long time, and when he did start, they would be spread out and only certain ones. The chicken pox, and flu shot have not shown to be effective enought for me to see the point of it. If Mark hasn't had the chicken pox by 12, he'll probably get it then, but otherwise forget it. Mark will not be getting any more shots until he is at least a year old.

No comments: