Monday, September 22, 2008

Relief Society Fireside w/ Julie B. Beck

Last night there was a fireside for the Relief Society in our stake. There were 4 other stakes that were invited to attend as well. The reason for this large get together was the General Relief Society President of the Church, Julie B. Beck, came to talk with us.
It was a very simple night. Instead of giving us a talk, she had us do a Q & A session. Seeing as women pretty much have the same problems everywhere, I was not surprised to hear what questions were asked in our congregation. Many were dealing with how do you make time for everything, there was one dealing with inactive or wayward children, things of this nature. A couple of years ago, I would have found this extremely boring, but now that I am married, and have a child, for once the subject dealt with things I am starting to deal with.
It was an amazing night, the spirit was there, and afterwards, I was able to visit with people I have not seen in a long time.
There were some subjects or quotes that were interesting to hear from her point of view. There was a question of drawing the line with allowing children to do what they want, because of their own agency. I adored what she had to say for that. She said, totally surmising here but, at this point in time, my agency trumph their's because I have made covenants with the Lord to be a good Mother and to teach and be responsible for them. They have not made a covenant yet, and I have. Therefore, my agency trumphs theirs.
Situation dealing with a new family in the ward and visiting teaching, the mother was called by the relief society pres. and was asked how she was doing. Turned out that three of her kid as well as her self had the flu and she was just miserable. The Pres. asked if she had called her visiting teachers, and the lady responded that she didn't know who they were. The pres. was surprise because she had been reported as being visited. Then the lady spoke saying, "Wait, have you been trying to give me friends?" Pres. replied yes, the lady responds with Quote: "I don't need friends, I need a Grandma!" I thought it was amusing.
There were many other things that were said, but its late.

No comments: