Monday, February 23, 2009

Joys of little boys...

On Saturday, Sara was throwing a Scentsy party at my house. There were a fair amount of adults and little kids there. Not a problem, I have toys and there is room to run around now. About half way through the party, someone informed me there was problem with the toilet. Lovely, it couldn't happen while it was just Ethan, Mark, and I hanging out at home, no, in the middle of the party. They had tried to flush and the water level wasn't going down. No overflowing thankfully. Out comes the plunger. Spend a good amount of time with that, and water level come down, but there is obviously something in the way. Many thanks for people who helped me!

I didn't know what to do, so I start IMing Ethan at work asking him. Not much he can do, he is stuck at work until 10pm. I asked him if he wanted me to go buy one of those toilet augers, or snake things to see if that helps. Tells me no, that he can probably get it taken care of when he gets home. Fine, no problem. After picking him up and his failed attempts, we finally say, we'll worry about it later tomorrow.

Next morning, before church, Ethan takes the toilet off, in hopes that whatever the stupid thing is, will be right there, and problem solved. Not the case, but we needed to get going to church. After church, we hit Home Depot and pick up an auger and wax seal. Immediately set out to revive the toilet. Tried going through the top, no such luck, I am holding the toilet now, and Ethan is seeing if we can get the item out from the bottom. After about 5 minutes, the auger itself it stuck in the toilet. Spend about 15 more minutes just fighting the toilet to free the auger, so we can at least try something new. I get tired of holding it, and ask if we can turn it on its side. Ethan agrees and voila' the auger has been freed with a few tugs. We are both starving, so we sit it back up and hear the miracleous sound of "clink" and open the top. We can see something, so down the stairs for gloves and now we can see the wonderful present Mark left for us in the toilet.


Its a candle lid.
Now, the one is the pictures is not the same one that was pulled out. That got pitched. But just so you have an idea. We thought we had been pretty good about keeping the bathroom door close, but apparently not.

5 comments:

Kate said...

wow. Again, sorry I was the one to bring that to your attention. :) I am glad you found the source!

Dedra said...

It's so fun to have girls nights/parties like that! The worst we had from my slumber party was some little kid..age 3 drew all over my kids class pictures with markers. @#!$%@# !!!

Atleast I didn't have to take apart the bathroom!

What a blessing that you guys know how to fix things. Ken and I would have had to call for help and spent too much sweet moola.

Erin said...

haha wow that sounds sooo frustrating! I think almost every semester in the apartment I'm at has some kind of toilet troubles! Glad you guys were able to find out what was wrong! Good thing your husband's a handy man!

Kate said...

I hope you don't mind i linked to your post. it was for a 'don't you hate it when' day at a friend's blog. I thought it was appropriate. :) glad all is well there again!

TisforTonya said...

If I were going to pick ANY item in my house to effectively clog the toilet - that would be my first choice... sorry that your children are so good at picking...

had to come over to see what Kate was talking about!