Monday, June 1, 2009

Destruction equals new life in my household...

When we moved into our house, we knew that we were going to encounter mice. That is what happens when you live in the country area. They had a nest in the kitchen ceiling that was discovered with when we pulled the ceiling out. That was a surprise, Ethan is standing there with the crowbar, ripping out plaster and suddenly, three squirmy things hit the floor and start running. Mice do not scare me, but I absolutely hate them. I do not scream or anything like that when I see them, but try to find the quickest way to be rid of them.

Having a child that is willing to get into anything makes it harder when choosing mouse traps. You don't want to leave poison, he could easily find it, you don't want the snap trap, then go to the emergency room explaining broken fingers, so we have been using the sticky traps. Not the most effective but they have caught 4 mice for us so far.

Today, I caught two, one was like almost dead and just sitting there on the dining room floor, and the other got stuck in the trap. I am not sympathic when it comes to rodents, especially in my house. Outside they can live, inside, they die.

Ethan and I have seriously considered getting a cat, but the biggest fight against that is my allergies. Yet, I have proved that I can become immune to certain cats. I adopted a cat when I left Colorado a couple of years and had no problems with her while I was living at home. We figured that if we got a young kitten, I would probably do better with it than a full grown one. Not as much hair, smaller, that sort of thing.

Well as luck would have it, my in-laws have have cats. Lots of cats, due in particular to one, named Agrippa. I don't think I have ever seen her during the spring and summer months not pregnant or nursing. Well she had four, a little before Easter, and now we have adopted the little black one. Alycia had named it Bageria, after the panther in Jungle book, but Ethan and I have not decided if that will be its name. We are pretty sure it is a boy though.


No comments: